Thursday, February 23, 2012

Books, Fluffies, and Elitists...Oh My!

A good book...is hard to find!  Over the past couple years I have collected just about every half decent book on ancient and modern Paganism I could find; and every year that passes it seems that it is getting harder and harder to find a good book.  I can literally comb through the entire metaphysics and spirituality section at the book store and not find a single well thought work that I have not already read or one that is not geared towards beginners.  I find this very sad...it's not that I need to read anything to reaffirm my beliefs, I would just like to read something of substance that gives me faith that Pagans as a community are developing.  I have had a bit more success when it comes to books about ancient societies and mythology, but they of course lack anything relating to spiritual substance.  Sometimes I think I am being a little judgmental and take a few minutes to start reading something I find in the store and I quickly realize that all I am looking at is some author/publisher money maker geared towards teenagers that do not know any better.  Then I think about the chain reaction that ensues...teenager reads some drivel about "modern witchcraft," decides they want to be a Pagan, finds a community, posts about what they read in a book, gets destroyed by members of said community, gets disheartened and abandons any further research.  As a community that does not look good for us for a few reasons.  First off any non-Pagan checks out a book, they will think we are completely out of our minds.  Second many newcomers shy away from the path because we act like a bunch of elitists.  This then creates stagnation for the community as a whole, which of course is the opposite of growth.  So what can we do to fix this?  Well I guess we could all write decent well thought out books, but writing is not for everyone and finding a publisher that would actually produce a good book is probably next to impossible!  So maybe we just need to be a little nicer to the noobs...I know that everyone hates some fluffy wannabe who thinks they are the 33rd reincarnation of Cleopatra's son with Gandalf who was raised by dragons, but maybe we need to work differentiate someone who is inexperienced and misinformed and the people that are just down right delusional.  I think is especially true when it comes to teenagers.  Teenagers and young adults are often looking for something that will make then feel unique and cool, and many of these books feed right into that feeling.  Yet so many times I have seen them get ripped a new one on a forum for essentially being misinformed by a crappy book.  I think they lack the sense and real world experience to know the difference between a quality work and some fluffed up crap.  I think we would all do them and our community a great service if we were just a little more patient and understanding.  Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that people should justify people having some outlandish misconception of what any Pagan belief system is, but we should try to educate before we destroy someone emotionally and turn them away from the path.    

No comments:

Post a Comment